Are you ready to expand your vision of what education can be?
Deep Root Center (DRC) provides extensive and caring support in a safe, non-coercive, dynamic environment filled with materials and resources, where you can create a positive educational plan based on your interests and aspirations.
Who chooses Deep Root?
Some DRC youth and families come from an alternative mindset. They are already comfortable with nontraditional choices.
Other DRC members never planned to choose an alternate path. Many have tried to make school work for them in various ways and in various locations, with similar results. The environment and instruction typically offered in school is not for everyone.
What is Deep Root Center?
Deep Root Center is a small, safe, dynamic, and welcoming community of learners. DRC trusts that all young people are capable of self-regulation and that they will make good choices when offered the opportunity.
All DRC members are individuals, moving forward in unique directions at a pace that is right for them. Deep Root Center is not a school. Rather, DRC offers an alternative to school.
You have come this far, you can contact us now to schedule an appointment, or continue on to explore on your own.
Why Choose Self-Directed Learning with the help of DRC?
- You have interests and goals that are not being met by your current educational environment.
- You are feeling Bored, Anxious, or Disenfranchised.
- You are seeking a hands on, interactive, and dynamic environment where you can be creative, imaginative, inventive, and curious, explore and make mistakes, get your feet wet, both figuratively and literally, follow your dreams and spread your wings - with a community of folks who will accept you as you are and support you, unconditionally, in all of those things .
- You understand that learning happens everywhere.
- Above all - you are ready to take charge of your education and life!
How it Works - Steps to Becoming a Member
1. Schedule an appointment
4. Complete the DRC Trial Membership Period
- Each student who joins us will have a two month trial period. This is the time for the student to settle in and decide, if we are the correct place for their personal educational needs.
- There is a fee attached to the trial period with a financial contract stating the agreed upon fee, if applicable, based on the fee reduction application.
- Fee Reduction applications are available upon request. DRC will never refuse a child because of their families financial situation.
5. Meet with DRC Staff to evaluate the trial period and determine whether DRC is the right educational choice
- A meeting will be scheduled two months after the student joins DRC. This meeting will be a time for reflection from all parties: the student, parents, and DRC staff to decide if it is worth going forward for all involved.
- If it is determined that things have not worked out and this is not the right environment, then the student will either continue homeschooling on their own, or will return to Public school. DRC staff will help facilitate either scenario.
- When it is determined that the student will be joining DRC as a permanent member, a full application will be completed by the parent or guardian and a new contract will be signed with the previously agreed upon monthly rate, as well.
1. A New Way to Approach Learning, Education, and Life:
Deep Root Center focuses on each individual: their strengths, interests, talents, and goals. We meet kids where they are, and, support them to travel wherever their passions lead, do whatever interests them, and become whoever they want to be. We ask them the big questions like: What problems in the world would you like to work on? How can you use your life and skills to help others? And, quite simply, what makes you happy?
2. Making the Decision:
The process of becoming a Deep Center Member is fairly simple, however, as with most things, the first step is the most difficult --- making that decision --- consciously choosing self-directed learning, and willingly (excitedly) taking charge of your education. Deep Root Center staff is available to meet with youth and their families to discuss whether this is the correct educational environment to satisfy their specific learning style, personality, as well as needs. Students are also welcome to visit for a day or two to hang out, explore, and participate in activities and classes to help them decide if DRC is right for them.
3. Creating a Customized Learning Plan:
Once a young person determines that Deep Root Center is where they want to pursue their education, they meet with me, the Executive Director, to explore all the possibilities and map out their personal educational plan, based on their unique interests. I facilitate this process, which varies depending upon the age of the student, through discussion and recommendations, and, by asking a multitude of questions. We then create an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP), the formal document and legal mechanism that allows students to leave traditional school to participate at DRC, which is derived from our conversation. There is a $40 fee due upon completion of this service. It will then be deducted from the amount due the first month of membership.
4. Completing the Trial Period Application:
Families fill out the Deep Root Center trial period application and students are asked to sign the community agreement, and trial member contract along with their parents. A staff person then reviews the specific terms agreed upon in the trial period financial contract (and tuition aid application) with the family.
5. A Personal Advisor:
Student members, ages 10-18, are assigned a personal advisor who meets weekly with each youth, using the DRC online portfolio tool, to discuss and imagine goals, talk about difficult situations, provide resources, track progress, and facilitate tutorials and community connections. The advisor will also help the student write the Quarterly Progress Reports that are required by NYS. This supportive, mentoring relationship is the very core of the Deep Root Center experience.
The Seedling members, ages 5-9, have an ongoing connection with the Seedling's coordinator, as well as other staff members and volunteers, who are able to anecdotally and quantitatively track individual development through conversations and interactions on a daily basis with our online portfolio system. This information is included in their NYS mandated Quarterly Progress Reports.
6. Daily Life at DRC:
Members spend time here working on independent academic and hands–on creative pursuits, playing music, taking classes, or one-on-ones, and hanging out with their friends, Monday, Thursday, and Friday 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM.
The classes and one-on-ones in Deep Root Center's schedule represent the interests of our students as well as staff members and volunteers. Youth are expected to choose a handful of classes, use DRC in a meaningful way, and attend the Center at least three - four days each week.
Every Tuesday is reserved as our experiential outdoor day, when student members have the opportunity to participate in the Water, Woods, & Wild Wonders Program. This is a chance for all kids to become immersed in the wonders of the wild world. Monthly themes will loosely guide the explorations; however, the important piece is for kids to experience nature freely, on their own terms.
The Seedlings Program follows a monthly theme to introduce new ideas and concepts, which are presented in an open, comfortable environment that engages all of the student's senses with imaginative, fun, and engrossing activities. Play and creativity are the backbone of this program.
The DRC music program provides a safe supportive space for kids to explore their interests in music, learn music theory, try out new instruments, or simply jam in a open environment.
DRC is a comfortable environment that provides an active and supportive multi-age social network. We are dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive community for all who choose to be here.
7. Evaluation of Trial Period and completion of Permanent Member Application
A trial period followed by an evaluation is the way we will determine whether this truly is the best educational environment for each student. * See above info for additional details.
Thank you for sticking it out with us! If you are still interested in joining DRC, the best way to learn more is to get in touch through this contact form. We look forward to talking with you soon!